My mom didn’t learn how to type until she was in high school. I learned in my tweens. And now, my kids are learning in the early elementary grades. Why are today’s kids learning to type at such an early age? I can’t answer for everyone, but in our family, we believe keyboarding is a really important skill. Because of this, we started looking for an online keyboarding course that would appeal to early-elementary aged kids. And guess what? We found a GREAT one – with cute graphics, stories, fun games – and MORE. What is it? TypeKids! And they offer a Spanish version as well – mecanografia.com.
What does TypeKids offer?
TypeKids offers a 30-lesson program that teaches touch typing to elementary-aged kids, using the following instructional elements:
Animations Explaining Technique
The correct typing technique is explained with clear animations. The lessons start with the base position for the hands and gradually builds up to include more keys (a new letter is added each lesson).
The correct way of sitting behind the computer is emphasized and explained throughout the course.
Intelligent Algorithm – Individualized Teaching
The program detects which letters require more practice and changes the exercises accordingly. This keeps the amount of repetition to a minimum. I’m such a fan of this – as it keeps my kids interested in what they’re doing.
A Fun Pirate Story
In each lesson, part of a story starring Captain Forty and pirate Jack is revealed. The story and the graphics appeal to both my son – and to my daughter. And honestly – I like the graphics too! 🙂
Seven different typing games are available. The games are entertaining and they serve as additional practice. Games become increasingly difficult over time, as more letters are learned. This ensures that games that were unlocked at the beginning of the course, are still challenging towards the end of the course. Brilliant! 🙂
Who doesn’t love earning badges? Just like reward coins, my kids LOVE badges! Yours too?
OMGosh, the fun never ends! Because really, who doesn’t love a treasure hunt!?!
What do I like about TypeKids?
- I like all the above! I like that the classes teach proper posture; I appreciate the algorithm/individualized teaching my kids receive; the darling graphics – I’m crazy about the pirate theme; the games; the coins, the badges; and MORE.
- TypeKids works! Even I’ve learned new things from this program and I’ve been typing for DECADES (as an example, I never noticed the little bumps on the J and the F keys).
- I appreciate the helpful hints – for instance, it didn’t dawn on me to have my kids say the letter when they type it. It helps with learning – and it helps my daughter so she doesn’t get ahead of herself. When my daughter doesn’t say the letter, she makes more mistakes.
- The parental progress reports are appreciated. Each time my child completes a lesson I receive a detailed progress report.
- There is a free trial. I like free trials. I knew mid-way through the free trial, that we wanted to continue with the program.
- Plus, you get a one-month trial period after purchasing, with a full money back guarantee. I’m a fan of full money back guarantees. It shows me the company believes in their product.
- And there’s a family discount. That’s nice too – because it’s great for multiple kids (both my daughter and my son are going through the lessons).
FYI, here are some screen shots from the TypeKids lessons –
After just two lessons, you can see the points, badges, and treasures my daughter has earned. The canon allows her to play the shark game (screenshots above).
I’m a total, gigantic fan of TypeKids! I heartily recommend it!! 🙂
Did you like this TypeKids review? We really enjoyed writing it for you. You can check out our other reviews here: https://www.howtohomeschool.net/curriculum-reviews
- TypeKids Product Review