Life of Fred Math Review
Are your kids bored, or unenthused when it comes to math? Are they tired of the drill and kill math approach? This Life of Fred Math Review will show you why the Life of Fred Math Books turn math into a fun adventure (really!). That’s because Life of Fred books contain engaging stories about Fred Gauss, a child prodigy/math genius. During his very funny escapades, he encounters every day math situations that call for solving mathematical problems. And yes, your kids solve these problems!
Kids ENJOY these books. And you’ll love that your children are involved in multi-subject activities (remember, your kids are reading and learning math at the same time!).
When can My Kids Start Life of Fred Books?
If your kids knows how to count, add, and subtract, then they are ready to start these books. The elementary math series is geared toward K- 4th graders.
The series begins with Apples, which covers numbers, days of the week, telling time, shapes, counting and zero. Fred also skims concepts like dressing for cold weather, identifying oceans, why boats are cheaper to rent in the winter, the Titanic, and more. You can see a sample here. By the way, Educents carries everything Life of Fred!
The series continues with Butterflies, Cats, Dogs, Edgewood, Farming, Goldfish, Honey, Ice Cream, and Jelly Beans.
Does Life of Fred Go Beyond Elementary Books?
Yes! The creator brings Fred all the way to college!
As a homeschooler, don’t you love series? If you find a curriculum your kids love, you can stick with it. The curriculum and your kids can grow together.
Here’s a Complete List of Every Life of Fred Series:
Life of Fred Elementary Math Series: Apples, Butterflies, Cats, Dogs, Edgewood, Farming, Goldfish, Honey, Ice Cream, Jelly Beans
Life of Fred Intermediate Math Series: Kidneys, Liver, Mineshaft
- These books are designed for students who aren’t 10 yet, but have already finished the elementary books. Best for students who can add, subtract, and who understand multiplication and division.
Life of Fred Fractions and Decimals: Fractions, Decimals and Percentages
- Looking for pre-algebra help? Can your student solve these equations: 5 + 8, 8 – 5, 7 times 8, 6,231 divided by 93? Then he or she is ready for the Fractions title.
Life of Fred Pre-Algebra Series: Elementary Physics, Pre-Algebra 1 with Biology, Pre-Algebra 2 with Economics
- Fred does physics before algebra. In this series, he learns about slope, ordered pairs, graphing points, numerals, and more. This is a fun math book to help with algebra lessons.
Life of Fred High School Math Series: Beginning Algebra, Zillions of Practice Problems for Beginning Algebra, Advanced Algebra, Zillions of Practice Problems for Advanced Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry
Life of Fred High School Language Arts Series: Australia, Begin Teaching, Classes, Dreams
- Each book contains 19 cohesive lessons on grammar, language, writing, common mistakes, and basically the entire English language. The creator suggests doing these four books once every year during your students’ high school years.
Life of Fred College Math Series: Calculus, Statistics, Linear Algebra, Upper Division
- In a single lecture hour, Fred completes a whole year of high school chemistry.
- The first six chapters of this book make a dandy high school course in logic.
What are Homeschoolers Saying About Fred?
- We were tired and stressed and just plain over it in our homeschool journey this past year. My daughter fought me every step of the way, mainly because of math. This is just not her strong suit and no matter how hard I tried, I just could not find the spark. At my wits end, I purchased this product hoping that it would engage her in a way that other programs had not.We read Apples for the first time yesterday and this morning she begged me to “read the Math Story again! I want to do that!” I dusted my chin off after it fell to the floor and wished silently to myself that I had known about this wonderful book series sooner. If you are on the fence and unsure if you will see a return on your investment – I encourage you to at least buy one to try. You will be so glad you did! Andrea M.
- My children LOVE Fred for math, so when I saw these I thought I’d give them a try. We checked them out from the library and my 13 year old was excited- we had to return them and I decided to purchase them. They are giving him an overview of grammar and language in a style that he loves and actually will use. We will be going through them a few times over the next few years, as a great addition to our LA training. Rosanna P.
- I have been using the Life of Fred books with my 1st and 4th grader. We read one chapter daily during breakfast, then answer the questions at the end of each chapter. It usually takes us 20-30 minutes to complete the chapter. We started with Apples, because the info I found on the website explained that there is a story theme that runs throughout the books. I’m so glad that I didn’t ignore that advice and try to start with a later book. If you have an older child (or children), you could probably do more than one chapter a day and get through the earlier books quicker – especially if your child is a good, solid, independent reader. With our schedule, we are enjoying one book a month. It is difficult to compare Life of Fred to other standard, strictly Math curricula because, well – it’s just so different. Each lesson includes so much more than just Math. In fact, there are elements of history, geography, physics, geometry, philosophy, grammar, critical thinking skills, extreme silliness, art history, and so many other topics throughout the books. Rochelle M.
- This cannot be a stand-alone curriculum, but it was a great springboard to spark interest in Chem! Justina T
It doesn’t cost much to try Life of Fred – you should give it a try!
Did you like this review? We really enjoyed writing it for you. You can check out our other reviews here: https://howtohomeschool.com/curriculum-reviews
Life of Fred Math Review
- Life of Fred Math Review
The best homeschool math books around. They get kids excited about learning and make it so much fun that they forget they are learning. You won’t regret the purchase!
Leave a Comment