Lindamood-Bell Academy is an accredited, private school that helps children in grades K-12 reach their academic potential. Although accredited in CA, the academy can accept students nationwide and internationally. Students can attend a physical location or learn from home. Because of the learn from home option, Lindamood-Bell Academy is a perfect fit for homeschoolers.
But the Lindamood-Bell Academy is different from other online options, in that the Academy:
- Uses research-validated teaching techniques to improve the sensory-cognitive processes and develop the imagery-language foundation necessary for reading, comprehension, and math. Whew – that’s a complicated sentence isn’t it!?! More on this below.
- Provides a process-based education (again, more on this below).
- Uses an individualized learning model.
- Only teaches small group sizes (1-3 students).
Here’s the research part of this
And here is info about sensory-cognitive instruction
Because Lindamood-Bell is research-based, students do need to be evaluated before instruction begins.
What is Lindamood-Bell instruction?
While traditional reading and tutoring programs focus on content instruction, as mentioned, the Lindamood-Bell instruction develops the underlying sensory-cognitive processing necessary for reading and comprehension. Lindamood-Bell instruction utilizes the programs authored by its founders. The programs include:
To learn more about the Seeing Stars® program for Reading Fluency & Spelling, click here. The Seeing Stars®: Symbol Imagery for Phonemic Awareness, Sight Words, and Spelling Program (SI) develops symbol imagery for reading and spelling.
For the Visualizing and Verbalizing® Program for Cognitive Development, Comprehension, & Thinking program, click here. The Visualizing and Verbalizing® (V/V®) program develops concept imagery—this is the ability to create an imagined or imaged gestalt from language—as a basis for comprehension and higher order thinking. Did you know that the development of concept imagery improves reading and listening comprehension, memory, oral vocabulary, critical thinking, and writing?
You can click here for info about the Talkies® Program for Oral Language Comprehension & Expression. The Talkies® program—the primer to the Visualizing and Verbalizing (V/V)program—is designed for students who need simpler, smaller steps of instruction to establish the imagery-language connection. The goal of Talkies is to develop the dual coding imagery and language as a base for language comprehension and expression. Talkies is especially helpful for students with a limited oral vocabulary and/or limited ability to verbalize. Research indicates Talkies benefits students previously diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder. Talkies is also ideal for any preschool child.
And click here for info about the Lindamood Phoneme Sequencing® Program for Reading, Spelling, and Speech (LiPS®). The LiPS® program teaches students to discover and label the oral-motor movements of phonemes. Students can then verify the identity, number, and sequence of sounds in words. Once established, phonemic awareness is then applied to reading, spelling, and speech.
For info on the On Cloud Nine® Math Program Visualizing & Verbalizing for Math, click here. The On Cloud Nine® Math Program stimulates the ability to image and verbalize the concepts underlying math processes. Concept and numerical imagery are integrated with language and applied to math computation and problem solving. There is emphasis on both mathematical reasoning and mathematical computation.
In addition, the Lindamood-Bell Academy uses Pearson curriculum for core classes and some electives.
And did you know, there are various instruction options? You can pick the one that works best for your family.
So, are you wondering, who are Lindamood-Bell Academy Students – and if your child is a good candidate?
The Lindamood-Bell Academy is a great solution for all students, including those who thrive in non-traditional teaching environments. These students include:
FYI – you can check out the Lindamood-Bell virtual open house video below –
And you can download the Lindamood-Bell Academy Guidebook here.
Are you wondering what I like about the Lindamood-Bell Academy?
- Results! Quantifiable results.
- It’s research-based (goes along with results).
- Evaluation occurs before my child begins (again, results-related).
- Instead of focusing on content instruction, Lindamood-Bell programs focus on the sensory-cognitive processing necessary for reading and comprehension. I have to admit, this seemed a bit complicated to me at first (I think my eyes glaze over when I read sentences like this), but I do get it now. And it’s important!
- HELP! As a parent, I can get help and understand my child’s learning issues and how they can be dealt with. So really, Lindamood-Bell offers HELP and RELIEF!
- Individualized instruction and education. This is especially important for kids that are behind – and for kids that are ahead. I have a son that’s really bright in math. As in super-bright/off the charts. He really benefits from individualized instruction – and honestly, I’m lacking a bit in my ability to do give him this.
- Small group sizes are really small – as in one-three students.
- Gotta love options. Do you want in-facility, or at home instruction? Four or six hours a day? And more.
Want to contact the school for additional info?
Did you like this review? We really enjoyed writing it for you. You can check out our other reviews here: https://www.howtohomeschool.net/curriculum-reviews
- Lindamood-Bell Academy