What is ADHD?
In the United States, ADHD or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder is one of the most commonly diagnosed childhood disorders, especially among boys. The symptoms include:
- trouble focusing
- difficulty controlling behavior
As you can imagine, these symptoms can have a negative effect on a child – both academically and socially.
An Inside Look
The infographic below is from The Brain Balance Achievement Centers of Greater Philly. It provides an inside look into the disorder.
Questions to Ask
If your child might have ADHD, your next step is to consult with a professional. Here are some questions to get the discussion started:
- How do I find out for sure if my child has this disorder?
- What are possible treatments and therapies, and how do I know if they are working?
- What about possible medications? Do they have side effects?
- Is there anything I can do to help my child succeed academically? Socially?