My niece has been struggling with multiplication facts for the last year. No matter what we try, it just doesn’t stick. That is why I was so excited to work on the Times Tales Multiplication review.
This Times Tales Multiplication review is perfect for homeschooling parents looking for more information on how to help their kids with multiplication facts. I previously heard it was a fun, unconventional way for kids to learn their times tables from other moms I know – and after reviewing the product, I can honestly say that all the good things I heard are absolutely true.
Times Tales® Multiplication is a right brain, creative, mnemonic system that uses simple stories (which are really hidden multiplication problems) to teach students their times tables. This approach helps appeal to the visual, auditory and kinesthetic learner, and works for all students (recommended for 3rd-6th Graders) – including those with learning disabilities and those that are struggling to learn their times tables using traditional methods. Times Tales teaches multiplication facts for: 3×6-9, 4×6-9, 6×6-9, 7×7-9, 8×8-9, and 9×9.
Times Tales Multiplication review – I received the Times Tales DVDs and their new Times Tales Multiplication Workbook for this Times Tales multiplication review.
I didn’t know about the new Workbook, so I was very happy when I saw that it was part of the Times Tales® Multiplication review. I’ll explain both, starting with the DVDs.
There are 2DVDs. The instructional DVD introduces the characters, the numbers they represent, and their stories – and teaches all of the times tables mentioned above.
Regarding the characters:
- 3 = Butterfly
- 4 = Chair
- 6 = Boy in the Sixth Grade Class
- 7 = Weeks
- 8 = Snowman
- 9 = Treehouse
The instructional DVD contains two parts:
- Part 1 covers the upper 3’s and 4’s multiplication facts and includes 8 stories.
- Part 2 covers the upper 6’s, 7’s, 8’s, and 9’s and contains ten stories.
It’s recommended that students wait one week after finishing Part 1 to begin Part 2. During this time, students can utilize the additional resources, located on the second DVD (more on that below). We really enjoyed the additional resources. My niece loved the games!
My kids have their times tables down, so I borrowed my niece and nephew and we worked through the DVDs together. My niece really didn’t want to wait the week – she liked Times Tales so much, she wanted to keep going. I’m a stickler for directions though, so we waited.
FYI – Here are two examples of stories that we worked on as part of the Times Tales Multiplication review.
This is for 3 X 9.
A Butterfly (#3) flew by the Treehouse (#9) and discovered a treasure of 27 cents.
This is for 7 X 4.
In this story, Mrs. Weeks (#7) sat on a chair (#4) to catch 2 boots and 8 trout.
Now, onto the second DVD –Printables.
The Printables DVD contains an answer key, tests, cube games (my nephew really enjoyed these), crossword puzzles and flashcards (yes flashcards – but they’re just a part of the whole system).
If you’re a homeschooler like me, you probably love printables!
Parents – Times Tales also offers a FREE 15 minute trial download of the upper 9’s if you’d like to take a look.
The Times Tales Multiplication Workbook includes 18 Times Tales stories, flash cards, an assortment of tests and quizzes, cube games, crossword puzzles, a BONUS Game Show DVD, and a division section. Just like the DVD mentioned above, the workbook is divided into Parts 1 and 2. AND, just like the DVD, it’s recommended that students wait one week after finishing Part 1 to begin Part 2. During this time, students can utilize the additional resources located in the back of the Times Tales Multiplication Workbook for review and mastery. The additional resources include a fun game, a Memory Story Booklet, and a variety of flashcards for review. My niece cut the flashcards out and helped me laminate them – she enjoyed the process.
How do students go through the Workbook?
- Your students learn the Times Tales stories (same ones that are on the DVD).
- Your students review the stories by writing them out in the correct order.
- At the end of Part 1, there is a Light Bulb Moment page. This page explains how the stories are really hidden multiplication problems.
- At the end of both Parts 1 and 2, the student has flashcard practice, takes a quiz that uses the number symbol characters in place of the written numbers, takes a test that uses the actual numbers, draws one of the stories (student’s choice), and then the student can use a variety of printables available in the back of the workbook if desired/needed.
What do I like about working on this Times Tales Multiplication Review (DVDs and Workbook)?
- It works! My niece and nephew learned so much! Both are now proficient in their times tables. Woo Hoo! My sister (their Mom) is SO happy about this!
- This program was fun for both kids and adults!
- It’s also easy! The kids were so proud of themselves after they mastered the facts!
- I like that the Workbook includes times tables and English work (writing the sentences).
- The resources are super, plentiful, and of good quality. They include – 2 DVDs, a Workbook, a bonus DVD, and reproducible items! I liked EVERYTHING!
- The DVD has vibrant colors, and an animated host named Hannah. I know she’s just a cartoon – but she’s certainly nice! The kids liked her, and they liked the congratulatory balloons at the end of the DVDs.
- The Workbook has a nice wipeable cover and heavy pages and easy step-by-step instructions.
- Your Kids have the option to through the Workbook independently – my niece/nephew did.
- As a parent, I love the option to purchase physical products or downloadable products – a download is nice if you need the help immediately.
- Free trials, a low price point, and a 30 day money-back guarantee – I appreciate these as well as a homeschooling mom on a budget.
That’s Hannah among the balloons
Times Tales also offers a few other products. If you like this one (And why wouldn’t you? It’s really wonderful), you might want to try their other products as well. I don’t know about you, but Zone Cleaning for Kids and Laundry for Kids sound like must haves for my house! I am going to order them today!
Did you like this Times Tales Multiplication review? You can view more reviews by our team of homeschooling parents here: https://howtohomeschool.com/curriculum-reviews
Times Tales Multiplication Review
- Times Tales Multiplication Review
Leave a Comment